Microblading eyebrows is a manual method of applying an eyebrow tattoo. It is done by using a hand tool with micro-needles resembling a fine blade that results in a crisp, very fine stroke. It heals to a more natural feathered hairlike stroke.
Microbladed eyebrows are ideal for anyone wanting to enhance the look of their eyebrows regardless to the amount of hair present! In addition, those suffering from alopecia or bald spots will be pleasantly surprised by how natural and full their eyebrows can look.
Microbladed Eyebrows done by Permanent Cosmetics by Shelly
What is Microblading & Other FAQ’s
What is microblading eyebrows?
Microblading is a form of light tattooing where a handheld tool is used to implant pigment under your skin to make hair-like strokes that look like natural hairs. Microblading is not as deep as a regular tattoo and needs refreshing every 6 months to a year for most people. Refreshing your brows, or “a color boost” will keep your brows the original color that was carefully selected to match your hair and skin tones.
Every person is different when it comes to how often a color boost is needed. It really depends on your body chemistry and lifestyle. Aside from the initial procedure, Shelly recommends a touch up to be sure you have the very best results.
Does Microblading hurt?
Shelly takes extra special caution to make sure that your eyebrow area is completely numb before she begins microblading. There should be no pain or discomfort during the service. Although there will be some tenderness when the topicals wear off.
Are Microbladed eyebrows permanent?
Every person retains their color differently. In general, color boosts are needed every 6 months to a year to look best. However, this can vary a lot depending on your body chemistry and lifestyle. Some clients can wait 2-3 years between color boosts, but usually it’s needed annually to look your best.
Doesn't numbing the skin make the results less realistic?
Do my eyebrows need to be shaved off first?
How should I prepare for Microblading?
There isn’t anything you need to do to get ready for microblading. You should not shave your eyebrows or do anything drastic. In fact, here is a list of all the things NOT to do:
- Do not pick/tweeze/wax/perform electrolysis one week before procedure.
- Do not tan two weeks prior or have sunburned face.
- Do not have any type of facial/peel 2 weeks prior to procedure.
- Discontinue Vitamin A/Retinol products one month prior to procedure.
- Do not work out the day of procedure.
- Do not have botox 2 weeks prior.
- Do not take fish oil or vitamin E one week prior (natural blood thinners).
- Do not wax or tint your eyebrows 3 days before the procedure.
- In order to avoid excessive bleeding and poor color deposit:
- Do not drink alcohol 24-48 hours before your procedure.
- Do not consume coffee before your procedure.
- Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen for pain relief (this thins the blood).
How long does it take?
Shelly schedules 2 hours for microblading. This gives Shelly plenty of time to numb the area, go over aftercare instructions, answer any questions, determine the new color and shape of your eyebrows, and actually do the procedure.
Can I return to work and play immediately?
What should I do afterwards for healing my microbladed eyebrows?
It is important to pamper your new microbladed eyebrows and keep a protective veil of Aquaphor® over the treated area. This prevents scab formation and drying, which can “lift out” the newly implanted color. If you’re planning on being outside, sunglasses and a visor are a must! You do not want a sunburn on freshly tattooed skin.
Shelly will give you an aftercare card and will personally go over the instructions with you before the procedure, but here is a summary:
- Gently blot the area with a clean tissue to absorb excess lymph fluid. Do this every 10-15 min for the first couple of hours until the weeping/oozing has stopped. Removing this fluid prevents hardening of the lymph.
- Day 1-7 WASH
- Wash daily to remove the old layer of Aquaphor®, bacteria, and dead skin. (Don’t worry, THIS DOES NOT REMOVE THE PIGMENT!)
- Gently wash your eyebrows once a day with water and an antibacterial soap like Dial® soap, Cetaphil® or Neutrogena®. With a very light touch, use your fingertips to gently cleanse the eyebrows. Rub the area in a smooth motion for 10 seconds and rinse thoroughly. To dry, gently pat with a clean tissue. Let air dry for 5 minutes before you reapply Aquaphor® ointment.
- Day 1-7 MOISTURIZE
- Apply a rice grain amount of Aquaphor® ointment with a cotton swab or thoroughly cleansed fingertips and spread it across the treated area. Be sure not to over-apply as this will suffocate your skin and hinder the healing process.The ointment should be barely noticeable on the skin. Never put the Aquaphor® ointment on a wet or damp tattoo.
- Print complete before and after care instructions here.
Microblading vs. Eyebrow Tattoo FAQ's
Here are some microblading vs. eyebrow tattoo FAQ's to help you decide if microbladed eyebrows or eyebrow tattooing is right for you.
What is is the difference between microblading and eyebrow tattooing?
Both microbladed eyebrows and eyebrow tattooing use the same technique (hair strokes). The only difference is the tool used. Microblading is done with a hand tool and eyebrow tattooing is done with a digital tool/machine.
Will the results be the same?
Results will be similar. Microbladed eyebrows are done with a hand tool with micro-needles resembling a fine blade (microblading), resulting in a crisp, very fine stroke which heals to a more natural feathered eyebrow hairlike stroke.
Eyebrow tattoos are done with a digital machine. Anyone who desires a fuller brow will love this procedure. As the hair strokes heal they tend to soften up and eventually resemble a soft powder filled look over time.
Does microblading and tattooing hair strokes last the same amount of time?
They are quite comparable as far as retention. Most clients require a color boost yearly, others come every 6 months for a color boost (depending on how perfect and precise a client wants their brows to look). Others can go up to 2 years without a color boost. Many variables play into how well a client will retain the ink!
Is the price the same?
The price is very similar for either process initially. Colors boosts are the same and that pricing varies depending on how long you wait between color boosts. See all pricing here.
Do both procedures require a touch up?
Yes. They both require one, sometimes two touch ups to look their best.
Permanent Makeup and Microblading Near Me
Please don't choose a permanent cosmetic technician based on location. We have clients that come to Permanent Cosmetics by Shelly in Hartland from all over SE Wisconsin and surrounding states including Milwaukee, Waukesha, Oconomowoc, Pewaukee, Brookfield, Delafield, Sussex, Menomonee Falls, Watertown, Germantown, Hartford and more!
Permanent Cosmetics by Shelly
Inside Unique Suites Salon
210 Pawling Ave #5, Hartland, WI