Permanent Eyeliner Tattoo
Considering a permanent eyeliner tattoo procedure? Just imagine: No more dull tired eyes. You can wake up with bright eyes everyday without the hassle and time it takes to apply eyeliner! And if you struggle with poor vision, shaky hands, watery eyes or allergies, you don’t have to worry about your eyeliner looking bad or disappearing throughout the day! In addition, you will love having no more smudges and unsightly smears. Your eyeliner will look perfect all day, everyday regardless of what activities you enjoy!
Shape and color is tailored to each individual client. Whether you’re looking for a natural, subtle eyeliner or if you prefer a dramatic designer liner, a permanent eyeliner tattoo from Shelly is designed to enhance your eyes’ appearance. You will have the illusion of thicker lashes and eyes that are instantly highly defined.
Permanent Eyeliner Tattoo from Permanent Cosmetics by Shelly
Eyeliner Tattoo Styles
One of the newer trends in permanent eyeliner tattoos is adding an accent line. The accent line is placed on the upper lid above the black eyeliner usually done in a cream color, it is not to be confused with eye shading. The accent line is a beautiful finish for the eyeliner enthusiast!
Eyeliner Tattoo with Accent Line from Permanent Cosmetics by Shelly
What is Eyeliner Tattoo & Other FAQs
What is eyeliner tattoo?
Because eyeliner tattooing isn’t as deep as regular tattoos, it isn’t literally “permanent.” Professionals call it permanent makeup because it doesn’t wash off. It’s literally semi-permanent and will need refreshing to look it’s best every 5-10 years for most people. This frequency is different for everyone and highly dependent upon your body chemistry, lifestyle and other factors.
Does permanent eyeliner hurt?
Shelly takes extra special caution to make sure that your eye lid area is completely numb before she begins tattooing. There should be very little pain or discomfort during the service. After the numbing wears off most patients experience some short term pain or discomfort.
Shelly has found that permanent eyeliner clients benefit from taking two TYLENOL® for pain along with two BENADRYL® for relaxation before a procedure. BENADRYL® can also help reduce swelling and may keep the eyes from watering so much during eyeliner tattooing.
Is eyeliner tattooing for me?
If you use any eyelash growth serums such as LATISSE® you can still get your eyeliner tattooed but you need to discontinue use of the product at least one month prior to your appointment.
If you have had any type of eye surgery, consult with your physician about how long you should wait before having a permanent eyeliner procedure. Usually two months is sufficient with most physicians after lasik, cataract, and blepharoplasty.
Is eyeliner tattoo permanent?
Actually it’s called “permanent makeup” because it does not wash off, not because it is truly “permanent.” Color boosts are required for all permanent cosmetic procedures, including eyeliner. The aging/fading process is universal.
Every person retains their color differently. Most eyeliners look perfect for 5-6 years but some last as long as 10 years. Longevity varies from person to person depending on their lifestyle, sun exposure, body chemistry, and topical products applied to the skin.
How should I prepare for an eyeliner tattoo procedure?
- Do not wear mascara the day of procedure BUT DO wear your eyeliner in so Shelly can see how you normally apply it.
- Do not use any eyelash growth serums such as Latisse at least one month prior to procedure.
- Eyelash extensions must be removed prior to treatment.
- Do not wear contacts for 24 to 48 hours after procedure (Bring your reading glasses).
- Do not dye or perm lashes for 2 days prior.
- If you have had any type of eye surgery, consult with your physician about how long you should wait before having a permanent eyeliner procedure. Usually two months is sufficient with most physicians after lasik, cataract, and blepharoplasty.
- Print complete before and after care instructions here.
How long does it take?
Shelly schedules 2-3 hours for an eyeliner appointment. This gives Shelly plenty of time to numb the area, go over aftercare instructions, answer any questions, determine the new eyeliner color and shape, and actually do the procedure.
Can I return to work and play immediately?
Yes, your eyeliner will look amazing right after the procedure so technically you could return to work and activities. However, Shelly suggests you treat the day of the procedure as a down day. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- It is not uncommon to experience some swelling, redness, bruising or bloodshot eyes following an eyeliner procedure.
- Eyeliners do require cold packs as soon as you can after the procedure so keep that in mind when scheduling your day. Cold packs reduce swelling and feel very soothing on your eyes. Cooling the skin is beneficial; freezing it is not! Using refrigerator temperature cold packs is safer. The tissue is already in a delicate condition and can get frost damage. You can cool/ice the eyes by applying gel compresses (from refrigerator), wet chamomile tea bags,or if you prefer the frozen bag of peas, place a wet washcloth between your skin and the bag. Apply the compresses for no more than one hour in 10 minute intervals (10 min on, 10 min off, 10min on, and so forth).
- You will be tender after the numbing agent wears off. This is different for everyone. Some people feel fine in an hour or two, others feel discomfort for several days.
- Shelly has found that permanent eyeliner clients benefit from taking two TYLENOL® for pain along with two BENADRYL® for relaxation before a procedure. Continuing with TYLENOL® or ibuprofen after a procedure can help with discomfort.
What should I do afterwards for healing my permanent eyeliner?
It is important to pamper your new eyeliner and keep a protective veil of Aquaphor® ointment over the treated area (you will leave your appointment with this). This prevents scab formation and drying, which can “lift out” the newly implanted color. If you’re planning on being outside, sunglasses and a visor are a must! You do not want a sunburn on freshly tattooed skin.
Shelly will give you an aftercare card and will personally go over the instructions with you before the procedure, but here is a summary:
- No makeup or mascara on tattooed area for 5 days.
- If any ink does collect in the corner of the eye, it can be removed by wetting a Qtip® and rolling the pigment out.
- Eyeliners do require cold packs as soon as you get home. Cooling the skin is beneficial; freezing it is not! Using refrigerator temperature cold packs is safer. The tissue is already in a delicate condition and can get frost damage. You can cool/ice the eyes by applying gel compresses (from refrigerator), wet chamomile tea bags,or if you prefer the frozen bag of peas, place a wet washcloth between your skin and the bag.
- Apply the compresses for no more than one hour in 10 minute intervals (10 min on, 10 min off, 10min on, and so forth).
- Take ibuprofen or Tylenol® as necessary for discomfort.
- You may shower on the day following the procedure as usual. Avoid rubbing your eyes.
- DO NOT go into sun or swimming pool for one week. When you do go into the sun use an SPF 45 to protect your face.
- DO NOT pick scabs or color will be lost.
- Day 1-5 WASH
- Wash daily to remove the old layer of Aquaphor®, bacteria, and dead skin. (Don’t worry, THIS DOES NOT REMOVE THE PIGMENT!)
- Gently wash your eyeliner once a day with water and an antibacterial soap like Dial® soap, Cetaphil® or Neutrogena®. With a very light touch, use your fingertips to gently cleanse the eyeliner. Rub the area in a smooth motion for 10 seconds and rinse thoroughly. To dry, gently pat with a clean tissue. Let air dry for 5 minutes before you re-apply Aquaphor® ointment.
- Day 1-5 MOISTURIZE
- Apply a rice grain amount of Aquaphor® ointment with a cotton swab or thoroughly cleansed fingertips and spread it across the treated area. Be sure not to over-apply as this will suffocate your skin and hinder the healing process.The ointment should be barely noticeable on the skin. Never put the Aquaphor® ointment on a wet or damp tattoo.
- After 5-7 days you can start wearing mascara again but a new tube is required to prevent infections.
- Print a detailed aftercare instructions sheet here.
Permanent Makeup and Microblading Near Me
Please don't choose a permanent cosmetic technician based on location. We have clients that come to Permanent Cosmetics by Shelly in Hartland from all over SE Wisconsin and surrounding states including Milwaukee, Waukesha, Oconomowoc, Pewaukee, Brookfield, Delafield, Sussex, Menomonee Falls, Watertown, Germantown, Hartford and more!
Permanent Cosmetics by Shelly
Inside Unique Suites Salon
210 Pawling Ave #5, Hartland, WI